If you’ve been missing teeth for many years and are about to receive dental implants, chances are that you’re excited and looking forward to new teeth. Prior to your procedure, we recommend that you do some research as to the steps involved, what you can do to care for your new implants, and what the healing process will be like. By understanding how to proceed, you’ll help ensure that your implants are successful, and prove to be strong foundations for your dental restorations. As an added plus, nothing about the upcoming months during which your implants will be healing will surprise you.
Steps of Dental Implant Surgery in Denver
Dental implant surgery involves placing dental implants deep in your jaw bone. Because it is a surgical procedure, you will need to be in good oral and general health to receive implants.
- Consultation. Dr. Hargreaves will meet with you and determine a treatment plan. The entire process will be discussed, and appointments set.
- (Potential) Bone graft. If you have been missing teeth for years, you may have lost bone density. Implants require adequate bone mass to integrate with your jaw. A bone graft will add density and make connection possible.
- Implant placement. During implant placement, you will receive local anesthesia at the area where the implants will be placed, so that you will not feel discomfort. An incision will be made in your gums, and the implant will be screwed into your jaw bone. The area will then be sutured.
- Healing. Your jaw will need to heal for several months before the next step.
- Abutment placement. The implants will be exposed, and abutments placed.
- Healing. More recovery time! This ensures everything solidifies properly.
- Restoration placement. Your restorations will be placed atop the abutments and securely attached to your jaw!
Denver Dental Implant Aftercare
During healing periods, it’s important that you treat your implants right. Follow Dr. Hargreaves’ instructions closely to ensure the surgery is successful. If you have any questions along the way, get in touch with us. We’re here to help you through the implant process.